Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Book to Box Office: A Film Review of World War Z

World War Z
Starring Brad Pit, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz
Directed by Marc Forster
Rated PG-13

The IMBD Synopsis: 
United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself. 


My Thoughts:
I was extremely excited to see how this book would be made into a film. After just finishing World War Z by Max Brooks, I couldn't quite see how this geo-political zombie warfare novel would be turned into a successful movie script. The novel is written like a historical document with many short clips from various survivors of WWZ. A film following even ten different war stories would have probably cost a fortune to make, so I wasn't too surprised when the trailer showed that the story would be told from a single vantage point. 
I think the film was a success. I really enjoyed the plot, despite it not being an actual part of the novel. It was clear that the film was inspired by the novel and I think the story of Gerry Lane was probable to the Brook's novel. The cast was well-chosen. There were some recognized faces and some actors that I didn't recognize, which made me appreciate the film more. The character's dress and makeup was very appropriate and, especially with the unfamiliar faces, I had no trouble believing in the cast. 
The zombies were good, but not quite what I was expecting. They seemed very tame compared to the zombies in Brook's novel. However, it should be taken into account that this film is rated PG-13 - the images couldn't be too graphic or it may have been rated R. Considering the rating, I was pleased with the zombies. They were sufficiently scary, but not disgusting and distasteful. 
The film seemed short, but I think it was actually a perfect length. It must have felt shorter because I was enjoying it so much! There was certainly a good level of suspense in the film with just the amount of relief. I wouldn't classify this as horrifying, but suspense/thriller would be an accurate genre. Perfect for me! I don't like too much gore. If you're the same then you'll love this movie. The ending is left with a few loose ends, but the novel is the same way. At first I was disappointed with the film's conclusion, but I don't think any other ending would have worked as well as that one did, especially in comparison to the novel. The film does have a major twist that doesn't occur in the novel. This twist was appropriate for the film adaption to move the plot along and give the movie its own unique attraction.
I would highly recommend this movie! Those interested in zombie films, this is a good one. Those looking for a good suspense or thriller, WWZ is a good film for lots of suspense without the horror. The zombies are appropriate for younger viewers, but they are still zombies - they might be too scary for some, but they are tame in comparison to the novels description. 

I give World War Z four out of five stars

you can read my review of World War Z by Max Brooks here

4 comments:

  1. I liked World War Z. I thought it was action packed, but it was too predictable. I don't think I'll be reading the book though. It's not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      I do agree the film could have had a bit more 'edge', which would have probably contributed to a less predictable plot. However, after reading the book, I was pleasantly surprised with the film adaptation of new features, such as the 'cure'. I completely understand if you wouldn't choose to read the book. Honestly, the novel is appropriate for lovers of zombie-fiction, but if you don't necessarily like that genre then you probably won't enjoy the book. It is written like a historical document which can make it a more difficult read. Thanks so much for the comment!

      Delete
  2. It was a lot better than I had intended it to be, but that’s still not saying too much. Good review Zooey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan!
      I know what you mean; I was intrigued by the film, but I admit I didn't have very high expectations before seeing it. I think that may be a reason I enjoyed it more, because it surprised me.
      Thanks for visiting, and for the comment!

      Delete


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio